Bilingual Adoption Specialist
Company: Palm Valley Animal Society
Posted on: May 24, 2023
*REPORTS TO: * Adoption Manager
*LOCATION: *PetSmart Adoption Events
The adoption specialist is the customer's first contact when calling or visiting the PVAS adoption location and represents the professional image of the shelter to all visitors. The adoption specialist greets visitors and receives and relays pet information. The exceptional adoption specialist has the ability to diffuse negative situations and foster visitor bonding. The adoption specialist is also responsible for finalizing the adoption process for new and established pet parents with accuracy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Walk all kennel areas daily to develop an intimate familiarity with the pets on hand and improve the ability to match pets to adoptive families.
* Can answer customer's inquiries about basic animal care questions and routine behaviors.
* Can educate customers on over-the-counter products such as shampoos and nutraceuticals; has full knowledge of heartworm and external parasite preventives to promote education and quality pet care.
* Can guide customers to make appropriate decisions regarding pet adoption and optimum pet care.
* Ensures all animals in the adoption area have an adoptomize photo in their file.
* Inform customers of medical treatment the animals have received at the Center.
* Maintains adoption areas & kennels as necessary.
* Can complete medical records entries accurately.
* Can handle client/patient transfers with ease.
* Can prepare client invoices for completed adoptions.
* Can accurately handle payment transactions.
* Can accurately and empathetically communicate recommended treatments and solutions to potential adopters.
* Explains return and refund policy in the event a pet is returned for any reason.
* Explains adoption contracts to adopters in a clear and precise manner.
* Maintains all adoption applications in a neat orderly fashion.
* Can bond with customers during interactions.
* At least one year of experience working in an animal shelter or other related agency.
* Demonstrated experience in program implementation and management, as well as providing customer service and/or case management.
* Working knowledge of dog and cat handling and behavior, including pets with challenging temperaments and with severe health conditions.
* Ability to handle pets safely and with kindness always, without exception.
* Must possess and maintain a current, valid Texas Driver's License.
Skills and Requirements
* Must be able to work in a high-volume, fast-paced, high-stress environment.
* Self-motivated, great attitude, team-oriented a must.
* Must have the ability to render quick, responsible decisions under stressful circumstances.
* Knowledge and understanding of herd management practices and principles as they apply to shelter health.
* Must be able to use and understand shelter/medical software programs and other basic equipment associated with day-to-day operations. Experience with ShelterLuv a plus.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective and positive working relationships and communications with staff, volunteers, animal control officers, and the general public.
* Ability to help establish and maintain best practices regarding sanitation, health, and animal well-being
* This specific role would require travel from shelter to PetSmart locations locally.
* While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently exposed to odors or airborne particles including animal fur and toxic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is very loud. Frequent driving between facilities is required as well as consistent availability after-hours, on weekends, and on holidays.
* 8-10 hour shift
* 2-3 Days Weekend availability Friday-Sunday
* Some emergency on-call
PVAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $10.00 per hour
* Dental insurance
* Flexible schedule
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Vision insurance
* 8 hour shift
* Weekend availability
* Weekends only
Work Location: In person
*REPORTS TO: * Adoption Manager
Keywords: Palm Valley Animal Society, Edinburg , Bilingual Adoption Specialist, Other , Edinburg, Texas
here to apply!