Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) - FT - Days - DS Endo
Company: DHR Health
Posted on: January 8, 2021
JOB DESCRIPTIONLICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSE
09/2019Employee Health:REVIEWED: 12/2016Human Resources:REVISED:
9/2014EMPLOYEE'S NAME: ________________________FLSA STATUS:NON-
EXEMPTJob DescriptionMISSION STATEMENT:Our Mission is to improve
the well-being of those we serve with a commitment to excellence:
every patient, every encounter, every time.VISION:Our Vision is to
create a world-class health system to advance medicine and increase
access for the communities we serve by empowering caregivers to
heal through compassion, knowledge, innovation, integrated care and
excellence.POSITION SUMMARY:Collaborates with other professional
disciplines to ensure effective and efficient patient care delivery
and the achievement of desired patient outcomes. Supports the
organization vision and mission. Utilizes knowledge of patient's
age and cultural diversity into the provision of patient care. The
individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth
and development over the life span and possess the ability to
assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the
appropriate information needed to identify each patient's
requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and to
provide the care needed as described in the
unit's/area's/department's policies and procedures. Will be
required to float to any and all departments as deemed necessary by
Nursing Administration and management.POSITION
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing required.
- Current Licensed Vocational Nursing license in the State of
- Current BLS certification.
- Clinical setting experience in direct patient care - 1 year
- Recent hospital experience preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Computer skills required with knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Bilingual - English/Spanish -preferredJOB
KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE:Ability to practice nursing as described by
the following definition by the American Nurses Association (2016):
"the essential core of practice for the registered nurse to deliver
holistic, patient-focused care." Ability to utilize the best
nursing process in the provision of nursing care including but not
limited to administering treatments and medications, interpreting
diagnostic tests, formulating a plan of care, collaborating with
other health care providers and providing education to patients
and/or significant others. The successful candidate will be
required to pass competencies for this position.
- Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of continuous experience.
Hospital experience preferred.
- Ability to work ALL inpatient units.
- Required to pass competencies for this position.
- Communication Skills: Must be able to interact and communicate
with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and families in an
effective manner. Exhibits tact, enthusiasm and patience. Must be
sensitive to cultural differences.
- Essential Technical/Motor skills: Must be able to adjust and/or
troubleshoot monitoring equipment and computer equipment.
- Must demonstrate the ability to practice nursing as described
by the following definition: "The diagnosis and treatment of human
responses to actual or potential health alternations."
- Ability to utilize the best nursing process in the provision of
nursing care including but not limited to administering treatments
and medications, interpreting diagnostic tests, formulating a plan
of care, collaborating with other health care providers and
providing education to patients and/or significant others.
- Ensures that care is delivered to each patient in accordance
with the Nurse Practice Act of the State of Texas and ANA Standards
of Clinical Nursing Practice. Ensures that care is delivered to
each patient in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act of the State
of Texas and ANA Standards of Clinical Nursing
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively
communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values
in developing services, standards and practices.
- Maintains competency on primary units by completing one worked
shift per month.
- Performs nursing care using sound judgment.
- Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of
- Abides by the rules and regulations set forth by the Board of
- Adheres to policies and procedures that guide and support the
provision of services. Maintains current with all new policies and
- Performs duties as assigned within scope of practice. Refusal
of assignment may result in immediate termination.
- Implements physician's orders in a safe and accurate
- Assists RN with admitting, discharging and transferring
- Transcribes and implements new physician orders.
- Adapts to the needs of the unit by demonstrating
- Maintains knowledge of the patient's status during
hospitalization and works with healthcare team to adjust and
improve approach to recovery. Utilizes critical thinking skills for
appropriate patient interventions.
- Maintains detailed and accurate records of nursing
- Participates in health/therapeutic counseling,
teaching/emotional support for patients and significant
- Makes rounds on assigned patients and prioritizes patient's
- The nurse acquires and maintains current knowledge in nursing
- Maintains a safe and clean environment for patients and
- Provides and receives reports in a status of patients at the
change of shifts.
- Administers medication and therapies within the scope of safe
- Modifies and implements goal oriented patient care plans
according to facility policies.
- Assumes responsibility to report clinical limitations or the
need for assistance to the supervisor.
- Informs the charge nurse of any anticipated and/or actual
- Provides direction to non-licensed nursing staff in the
delivery of patient care.
- Anticipates potential problems situations and intervenes to
offset any adverse impact.
- Contacts the organ procurement organization in order to satisfy
regulatory requirements for the determination of medical
suitability for organ, tissue and eye donation; completes
certificate of referral/request and places same in the medical
- Plans and coordinates time schedule with peers to provide
- Ensures the distribution and delivery of equipment/supplies as
- Builds a positive work environment and exhibits cooperation by
guiding employees to support the mission of the hospital, providing
developmental opportunities and encouraging teamwork.
- Attends mandatory in-service, yearly education, and
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Complies with schedule requirements.As a RESOURCE LVN:
- Responsible for expediting patient discharges per standard
guidelines -including patient teaching, follow up appointments and
- Perform wound care of assigned patients and/or apply wound care
pump per physician's orders.
- Receive reports on patients from OR and/or other units.
- Initiate, update and/or complete transfer paperwork as
- Assist with medication administration as deemed competent
within LVN scope of practice and institution's policies and
- Assists with admissions including documentation medication &
admission history and initiating physician orders.
- Assists in any and all patient education needs
- Assist with core measures and quality initiatives within the
unit.LINES OF RESPONSIBILITY:Chief Nurse Executive-Nurse
Director-Clinical Coordinator-Charge Nurse-Staff NurseCUSTOMER
SERVICE:Performs other duties as assigned Provides excellent
customer service to all DHR customers. All employees are required
to attend the DHR C.A.R.E. program which outlines the Customer
Service Principals including: First Impressions, Communication,
Hospitality, Teamwork, Professionalism, Service Recovery and the
Golden Rule. All employees are expected to practice theses
principals at all times.AGE SPECIFIC:Employees must be able to
demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care
appropriate to the age of the patients served in his/her assigned
unit. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of principles of
growth and development over the life span and possess the ability
to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the
appropriate information needed to identify each patient's
requirement relative to his or her age.AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES
ACT: (ADA):A.Essential Duties: Indicated by bold print within
performance standards, preceding individual numbered criteria.The
following table provides physical requirements that will be
associated with, but not limited to, this position:Light/moderate
lifting up to 50 lbs., from the floor to shoulder
height.YesKneelingYesMust be able to assist other employees with
lifting more than 50 lbs.YesWalkingYesLight/moderate carrying up to
30 lbs.YesStanding/SquattingYesStraight pullingYesSittingYesPulling
hand over handYesPushingYesRepeated
bendingYesStooping/BendingYesReaching above shoulderYesClimbing
StairsYesSimple graspingYesClimbing LaddersNoDual simultaneous
graspingYesDepth Perceptions neededYesAbility to seeYesIdentify
ColorsYesOperating office equipmentYesTwistingYesOperating
mechanical equipmentYesCrawlingNoAbility to read and
writeYesAbility to CountYesAbility to hear verbal communication
without aidYesOperating Personal VehicleYesAbility to comprehend
written/verbal communicationYesOther: Ability to deal with
stressYesOSHA CategoryIB.Working Conditions: The individual spends
over 95% of his/her time in an air-conditioned environment with
varying exposures to noise. There is protection from weather
conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes. The
position does have low exposure to malodorous, infectious body
fluids from patients and some minimal exposure to noxious smells
from cleansing agents.C.Occupational Exposure: This position is an
OSHA Category I, which requires high exposure to infectious wastes
such as blood and body fluids that mandate the wearing of gloves,
masks, gowns and goggles for every actual or potential
exposure.D.Aptitudes:HIGH123456LOWIntelligence: General learning
ability: The ability to "catch on" or understand instructions and
underlying principles. Ability to reason and make judgments.
3Verbal: Ability to understand meanings of words and ideas
associated with them, and to use them effectively. To comprehend
language, to understand relationships between words, and to
understand meanings of whole sentences and paragraphs. To present
information or ideas clearly. 3Numerical: Ability to perform
arithmetic operations quickly and accurately. 2Spatial: Ability to
comprehend forms in space and understands relationships of plane
and solid objects. Frequently described as the ability to
"visualize" objects or two or three dimensions, or to think
visually of geometric forms. 2Form Perception: Ability to perceive
pertinent details and objects or in pictorial or graphic material
to make visual comparisons and discriminations and see slight
differences in shapes and shadings of figures and widths and
lengths of lines. 3Clerical Perception: Ability to receive
pertinent details and verbal or tabular material. To observe
differences in copy, to proofread words and numbers, and to avoid
perceptual errors in arithmetic computation. 2Motor Coordination:
Ability to coordinate eyes and hands to fingers rapidly and
accurately in making precise movements with speed. Ability to make
a movement response accurately and quickly. 3Finger Dexterity:
Ability to move hands easily and skillfully. To work with fingers
in placing and turning motions. 3Manual Dexterity: Ability to move
hands easily and skillfully. To work with hands in placing and
turning motions. 3Eye-Hand-Foot Coordination:Ability to move the
hand and foot coordinately with each other in accordance with
visual stimuli. 3Color Discrimination:Ability to perceive and
respond to similarities or differences in colors, shapes, or other
values of the same or different color. To identify a particular
color, or to recognize harmonious or contrasting color
combinations, or to match color adequately. 3I have read and
reviewed my job description with my supervisor or designee and I
understand the job I am expected to perform.Employee
Date:____________________1DISCLAIMERThe above statements are
intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being
performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an
exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. DHR leadership
reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet
business and organizational needs as necessary.
Keywords: DHR Health, Edinburg , Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) - FT - Days - DS Endo, Healthcare , Edinburg, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!