Veterinary Hospital Manager
Company: Border Animal Hospital
Posted on: January 21, 2023
General Description of Position: The practice manager is
responsible for the business activities of the practice including:
hiring and training support staff; working with the owner to
prepare financial statements and budgets, monitoring key
performance indicators and setting fees; maintaining inventory and
an inventory control system; managing the hospital software; and
implementing safety and security procedures. This is a leadership
position with the additional responsibility of ensuring a positive
work environment in which the practice achieves its goals. JOB
REQUIREMENTS/SKILLS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Experience requirements
- Work exposure to all aspects of a business enterprise, with
demonstrated competence in budgeting and financial reporting and in
- Minimum three years working in a veterinary practice, unless
proven results from other business identity. Personal requirements
- Feel and express a genuine liking for animals and for working
in an animal care environment.
- Must be able to work under the broad general administrative
supervision of the owners and doctors, and to be able to use sound
personal judgment in selecting methods, establishing priorities,
and arriving at conclusions
- Must be able to tactfully demonstrate "take charge"
- May be required to work uncommon hours, overtime, and be
subject to recall in emergency situations. - Deal intelligibly,
pleasantly and efficiently with clients on the telephone and in
person, often doing several things at one time.
- Display tact and diplomacy with staff members and clients.
- Work almost constantly in the presence of other staff members
- Be flexible in attitude and work habits.
- Quickly learn how to pronounce, know the meaning of and spell
commonly used veterinary terms.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying records and
equipment weighting up to 25 lbs; requires sitting or standing for
extended periods of time.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises
and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious
diseases. Reports to: Vice President of Operations HOSPITAL MANAGER
- Promotes a client-centered environment and facilitates programs
and processes that meet client needs.
- Maintains the practice philosophy for attracting new clients
and retaining existing clients.
- Facilitates resolution of client problems that doctors, or
other staff members cannot finalize.
- Resolves financial problems with clients, collecting delinquent
accounts and "NSF'" checks; determines when special financial
agreements are appropriate. Human resources
- Plans and organizes all personnel activities.
- Develops and updates the employee handbook, written job
descriptions, employee personnel files.
- Schedules and coordinates regular performance reviews.
- Hires and manages support staff and/or staff supervisors;
schedules staff and doctors.
- In consultation with owners and doctors, sets and periodically
reviews salaries and benefits.
- Provides phase training and helps staff plan for continuing
education; establishes and maintains publications and veterinary
- Resolves staff issues.
- Is accessible by staff while maintaining a professional
relationship with them. Finance and accounting
- Works with the accountant in preparing budgets and financial
statements and providing information for tax planning and tax
- Reviews financial statements and key performance indicators and
discusses them with the owners and doctors.
- Sets goals for hospital performance based on previous
performance and mission/vision; designs strategies for meeting
- Supervises usage of practice software to ensure that client
records are entered consistently and correctly.
- Monitors and reports on accounts payable and receivable.
- Establishes an inventory control system to assure adequate
stocks of supplies are available; plans for periodic audits;
negotiates best prices. Hospital facility
- Develops a schedule for hospital/vehicle maintenance; contracts
for and supervises all maintenance activities to ensure that
practice medical standards are met.
- Orders and supervises storage of non-medical supplies.
- Maintains a facility/vehicle visually appealing to client and
- Designs and administers safety and security regulations and
- Initiates new programs and markets services through public
- Promotes internal marketing programs to increase client/patient
- Maintains effective advertising in yellow pages and other
appropriate venues. Other
- Communicates objectives, motivates staff, builds and maintains
morale; maintains core values and standards.
- Takes an active role in practice staff meetings.
- Promotes cooperative working environment among staff members;
understands the value of teamwork; shows enthusiasm and willingness
to perform as necessary to help the practice function as a
- Understands and carries out oral and written directions.
- Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other
- Promotes continuous quality improvement.
- Performs other duties as assigned. WORK ENVIRONMENT:Small
animal hospital, work in front and back of hospital, high level of
client interaction,exposure to x-rays and anesthetic gases with
proper protective measures. Potential for exposure to zoonotic
diseases and possible hazardous materials. CONTINUING EDUCATION
REQUIREMENTS: None at this time EXEMPT OR NON-EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
Keywords: Border Animal Hospital, Edinburg , Veterinary Hospital Manager, Executive , Weslaco, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!